How much Should a Walkway or Patio Cost to Install?
Installing a patio does not only add value to your home, it also serves several other purposes such as providing an excellent place to unwind, entertain, as well as beautifying your home. The importance of a well installed patio cannot be overstated as many homeowners are starting to realize the many benefits. Bringing the indoors outside has been a growing trend in the landscape & hardscape industries over the last several years.
If you have decided to install an outdoor living space, there are several factors to be considered before you can calculate the cost. They include; the type of material you wish to use (pavers, concrete or stone), finding out how large it needs to be to fit your entertaining/relaxing needs, and what amenities you want to includes such as seat wall, columns, lighting, etc.
Paver Patio Cost for Installation
Specific site conditions/ factors are a great determinant of installation cost. In other words, only generalized figures may be applied in preliminary cost estimates as there are a number of contingent factors that could affect the total cost of installation. Examples of these factors includes; existing conditions of the area you intend on installing the patio, demolition costs, soil conditions of the landscape, excavation depth, access to the area with machines, & pattern choice.
Paver Patio Cost for Installation in Your Area
- Base material and grading- $5 to $7 / S.F ( Square foot)
- Average installation- $9 to $12 / S.F ( Square foot)
Concrete Patio Cost including Installation
Just like pavers, the total cost of concrete installation relies on various factors. Most of the factors affecting the paver cost applies to the concrete cost as well, including decorative finish, grading, location, square footage and many more. Furthermore, the price also depends largely on the type of concrete you are going for (whether plain, colored or stamped concrete). However, the national price ranges for concrete are listed here:
- Plain concrete- $3.50 to $5.50 / square foot.
- Colored concrete- $7 to $11 / square foot.
- Stamped concrete- $8- $13 / square foot.
The best method of finding out the cost of your concrete project is by getting adequate information including quotes from two or more contractors.
Flagstone Patio Cost including Installation
Flagstone is priced quite differently from other patio materials. This is due to the fact that different kinds of stones (with different prices) are involved and where the stones are purchased from also determines the price. Some of the factors that affects the variability in flagstones cost includes:
- Fuel: Some flagstones are more costly than others due to the fact that they are being transported from a long distance which increases the amount spent on fuel as well as cost of the stone.
- Factory cut edges or irregular stones: Irregular stones are generally more expensive than factory cut edges since it is more complex and requires chipping and fitting.
- Scarcity: Flagstones that are relatively hard to get costs more than the readily available ones.
- Gauged or Natural Depth: Gauged depth means that all pieces are exactly the same thickness (easier, faster installation= less labor, but more money in materials). Natural depth can vary dramatically depending on the specific material and requires a lot more labor for installation but less money in material costs.
The national average of flagstone prices: $18 to $25 / square foot.